The prize list and entry form for the Thoroughbred Renaissance Horse Show in Glenville, NY, is now up with a link from their Facebook page. This is an August show, and advance entries close on August 6th, so the time to get your entries in is now! You won’t want to miss this show: it has a bunch of very innovative classes, it benefits ReRun of New York, AND it’s open to Thoroughbreds only!
A couple of classes you won’t see at just any horse show:
- Seasoned Campaigner. Part of the Showmanship division (which promises to overlook “racing adornments such as pin firing scars, splints, bows etc.”) which is “open to all Thoroughbreds with 30 or more starts OR >100K in earnings OR 15 years of age or older.”
- Family Class. Also part of Showmanship, this is for people like me who get hooked on one sire or dam and collect their babies. Horses should share a sire or a dam, but they don’t have to share both.
- Mare and Progeny. A Showmanship class for mares and at least one of their offspring, to demonstrate suitability of the mare to produce sport or trail/pleasure foals. If you want to prove to people that you’re totally justified in breeding your nice mare, get her a ribbon here!
- Lead Ponies and Thoroughbred Costume Class. For the unsung heroes of racing, this open class isn’t restricted by breed, but the horse has to show proof of his “day job,” like being a lead pony.
- Thoroughbred Renaissance Talent. 2 to 4 minutes to display your Thoroughbred’s talent. A talent show! For your Thoroughbred! Advance registration AND a brief description of the display are required.